Creating quality, mixed-income housing
The Housing Plan focuses on the revitalization of University Homes, the nation’s first federally-funded public housing for African-Americans, completed in 1937.
Renamed Scholars Landing, the former University Homes is a 19-acre site nestled in the heart of the Atlanta University Center neighborhood. Former residents of the once deteriorating University Homes community were relocated in 2006, three years before its demolition in 2009. With development led by Integral, the Scholars Landing masterplan includes 606 high-quality units:
- Veranda. A beautiful 100-unit senior affordable independent living facility for persons earning at or below 80 percent of Area Median Income (AMI). Completed in 2013 prior to the CNIG award.
- Oasis. A four-story mid-rise completed in 2015. Comprised of 60, fully occupied, affordable one-bedroom units for seniors 62 years and older.
- Ashley I A/B. A 135-unit multifamily rental, now leasing one-, two- and three-bedroom apartment homes. Located along Atlanta Student Movement Boulevard offering upscale finishes and amenities, including washer/dryers, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, a fitness center, rooftop deck and wet bar, aqua lounge pool, and spaces to relax and socialize in a controlled access environment.
- Ashley IC. A 66-unit multifamily rental, one block east of the Scholars Landing site on a 1.6-acre parcel acquired by AH. Will include one-, two- and three- bedroom units in a gated community. Construction start slated for fall 2020.
- Ashley II. The largest and final rental phase at Scholars Landing includes 212 multifamily rental units comprised of one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom units with sweeping views. Construction start slated for spring 2021.
- Homeownership. Located at the highest elevation of the site, 33 townhomes will be constructed with views of Atlanta and Westside skylines. Down payment assistance will be available on seven homes to eligible first-time homebuyers to make them affordable. Construction start is anticipated in summer 2021.